Munnar in Kerala is simply known for its romantic cottages, cloud framed mountains, animated tea gardens, green valleys, and mesmerizing waterfalls with a buzzing sound. It is the calm climate of Munnar that makes it one of the most preferred romantic destinations for millions of honeymoon couples and love birds in India. In recent times, Kerala tourism bagged the ‘Best Destination for Romance’ for Munnar. The Lonely Planet Magazine India Travel Award 2017 is a big boost for the Kerala tourism and shows why Munnar matters the most when it comes to having the best romantic locations in India. To have a sojourn at Munnar during the honeymoon period, all you need to have an all-inclusive honeymoon package in Munnar.
P Bala Kiran, IAS, Director, Kerala Tourism said, “Kerala is now becoming popular as the preferred destinations among the Indian travelers. The state’s tourism department will continue to keep up the positive momentum with its perennial growth trajectory. The award also inspires other travel enthusiasts to visit and experience unexplored destinations. Kerala is witnessing constant progress in foreign as well as domestic tourist arrivals since 2011.” “The foreign and domestic tourist arrival in Kerala has escalated by 6.23% and 5.67% respectively in the previous year. There has been very good growth in Tourism infrastructure and is coming up with the new Tourist policy,” he added.
MUNNAR: Romantic Kerala honeymoon activities
Honeymoon, without any doubt, is a special time that a couple shares with each other. Just after their marriage, married couples like to celebrate your wedding together and enjoy a wonderful and romantic experience. For this, they love to visit Munnar in Kerala. The honeymoon is not all about spending hours and days inside a room in the company of each another. Following are some Kerala honeymoon activities that will take your romance to the next level. These activities not only make your honeymoon more memorable but also bring more warmth in the new relationship. When you are in Munnar, don’t miss these activities:
- Add more spice to the honeymoon memories with a horseback ride along the beach or make her feel intoxicated tonight with a wine tasting tour.
- Do breakfast in bed and feel romantically relaxed sipping a coffee and cuddling each other. Why leave out the room, it is honeymoon time?
- Get a new bonding experience with Ayurveda couple massage treatment and state-of-the-art spa facilities to rejuvenate your body and mind.
- Give a new meaning to moments of intimacy together by staying in a Kerala tree house that ensures you 100% privacy.
- Go for a romantic walk around Mattupetty Dam, Kundala Dam Lake, or rose gardens.
- Go to photo point in Munnar and take your lovely honeymoon photos that you can hang in your bedroom.
- Going for a special romantic meal is a fun to treat you to gourmet cuisine. Try a candle light dinner and create a magical romantic atmosphere around.
- Take a surprise bath under magnificent waterfalls with her and have some naughty fun.
- Take her to the heart shaped lake in Chembra if she loves trekking. If not stay disconnected to the world around and spend more time in bed.
- Try a village life tour in a cycle if you love to explore rustic beauty around in Munnar. It would certainly give you a memorable and cherished experience.
- Watching the sunrise together is an incredibly romantic moment that represents the beginning of your married life together.
MUNNAR: Romantic things to do
Munnar is not only for honeymoon seekers, it is for all who love to spend quality time in the most tranquil destinations of the world. Munnar has lots of romantic activities to do for all, especially newly married couples. There are a lot of romantic things apart from honeymoon activities that you can try in order to add more colors and style to your honeymoon period. Just try out the following attractions and give your valuable holiday time a smart twist:
- Go for camping near Shola National Park and trekking Echo Point and Top Station to have the best views of nearby hills and valleys.
- Spot rare animal and bird species at Eravikulam National Park in Munnar and other nearby national parks including Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary and Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary a.k.a. Thekkady Bird Sanctuary.
- Go for mountain biking if both of you are good cyclists and love to hover around this tea estate town of Kerala.
- Find a new picnic spot for your loved ones at Lakkam Waterfalls in Munnar; Attukal Waterfalls at the outskirt of Munnar, and Thoovanam falls near Chinnar wildlife sanctuary.
- Rock climbing and rappelling are some tremendously breathtaking activities that you can try anywhere in the hilly landscape of Munnar.
- Enjoying a Shikara ride in Kundala lake and spend more time with her during your honeymoon trip in the best parts of Munnar.
- Come to Mattupetty Dam to enjoy the most beautiful scenic spots near Anamudi peak. This ideal picnic destination will let you try some watersports.
- Don’t forget to go on an elephant ride with her at Carmelagiri Elephant Park. Nothing can be the best way to explore things around than sitting on the back of a giant animal.
- Have a rendezvous with the old world in Munnar by making a surprise visit at Chithirapuram and CSI Church that reminds you of the old architecture.
- Make an astonishing visit to enjoy the wildlife around and see Bisons, elephants, Hanuman monkey, sambar, and spotted deer in their natural habitats.
- Enjoy some performing arts watching Kathakali traditional Indian dance from skilled artists in Koothambalam (art performance temple).
- Things are still not over; you can also book an evening at Kalaripayattu show in Munnar. Kalaripayattu in a traditional martial art practiced in Kerala.
MUNNAR: Tourism data
On the Western Ghats in the Idukki district of the Kerala, Munnar is a lush green hill station surrounded by smiting tea gardens. Low flying clouds, wild orchids, tea estates, and wildlife sanctuaries with valleys, lakes, and peaks make Munnar a perfect destination for travelers. For all lovers and honeymoon seekers, this place is no less than a paradise. In the perfect landscapes of God’ own country, Munnar beacons all who love to enjoy romance in the air.
- Best season to visit: November to February
- Languages: Malayalam, English
- Events and festivals: Onam, Nehru Trophy boat race, and Thrissur Poornam festival
- Weather: Summer 19 to 35°C; winter 11 to 32°C
- Accommodation: Luxury to budget hotels with all modern amenities
- Places to visit: Tata Tea Museum, Idduki Arch Dam, Anamudi Peak, Eravikulam National Park, Hill View Park, Atukkad Waterfalls, Cheeyappara Waterfalls, and Lakkom Waterfalls
- Weekend getaways: Thrissur, Madurai, Ernakulam, Coimbatore, Alleppey, Meghamalai, Kumarakom, and Teni
- How to reach: Cochin International airport (125 km); Coimbatore Railway Station and the Kochi Railway Stations are the nearest railway stations; Munnar from Cochin 126 km by road.
Munnar is simply a breathtaking and beautiful hill station that gives a new meaning to peace and tranquility. This place is a boon for all honeymoon seekers as it offers hundreds of romantic things to do. Just book a right honeymoon package to Munnar and be ready to get lost into the natural wonders of this hill station, taking hand-in-hand, where privacy is the buzzword.