Lutyens’ Delhi has been a central attraction for all since it got the status of the national capital of India in 1911. Since then, Delhi boasts of a number of colorful and popular tourist destinations, some of them also enjoy the tag of UNESCO World Heritage sites. Delhiites live a fast and modern life and people from all walks of life from India as well as abroad like to visit this city frequently for fulfilling commercial and leisure purposes. Thanks to its cultural and historical attractions; physical and social infrastructure, and economic and tourism infrastructure. With metro rail, flyovers, hotels, resorts, theme parks, entertainment centers, shopping malls, restaurants, religious places, and huge government offices, Delhi is a real tourist place to visit. That is why it is simply a great pick for all shutterbugs, heritage lovers, families, honeymooners, and weekend lovers. It is not only Delhi but also its nearby weekend getaways, including Chandigarh, Jaipur, Manali, Agra, Rishikesh, Mussoorie, Nainital, Shimla, and Jim Corbett, making Delhi one of the most visited tourist destinations in India.
Before national and international tourists like to hit the city and enjoy its colorful history, culture, nightlife, vibrant beauty, climate, and rich texture, all they need to do is to know more about some of the most popular tourist destinations in Delhi, top things to do in Delhi, sightseeing in Delhi, adventurous things to do in Delhi, things to learn in Delhi, how to reach Delhi, best places to visit in Delhi, Delhi holiday packages, and Delhi tour packages with the help of reliable and professional travel agents in Delhi. Let’s start a discussion and know why the national capital is a big destination to attract travel enthusiasts. If you are new to the national capital of India, the following points will give you a crystal clear idea of what is Delhi and what are Delhiites?
- Millennium Park, gated housing societies, posh South Delhi, rural West Delhi, and unauthorized colonies
- Street food, Delhi Haat, Chandini Chowk, Aggarwal Sweet Corner, Haldiram’s, McDonald’s’, and KFC
- Branded showrooms, street shopping, flea markets, and street hawkers
- Overcrowded roads, VIP zones, no entry zones, traffic jams, and not so good Yamuna River
- Nightclubs, hookah bars, kitty parties, PVR, and cultural shows at Mandi House
- ITPO Trade fair, Bookfair, and auto fair at Pragati Maidan
- Fashion-loving people spending more on clothing and mobiles
- Lovebirds sitting everywhere in shopping malls, metro stations, bus stops, parks, and Purna Quilla
- Historical monuments, temples, forts, sanctuaries, and rant political leaders
- Shopping malls, 5-star hotels, higher cost of living, and rising crime against women
- Not so clean Delhi with trash everywhere; no regular cleanness despite Swatch Bharat Abhiyan
- Carefree and fun loving people, gutka and tobacco spitting people, and mobile-addicted Delhiites
- Rahgiri show, Delhi University, DPS schools, cluttered government schools, and slum areas
Mesmerizing must-visit places around Delhi
With special tags of the social capital of India and the street food capital of India, Delhi has lots of surprises in its bag for millions of people who like to be a part of this great place as a temporary visitor. Whether you are interested in visiting top hill stations, rafting platforms, snow-clad hills, religious places, camping destinations, adventure places, or picnic spots in and around the national capital of India, then all these packages can make a big difference. Let’s have a look at these packages to bring the most out of your next holidays in a hassle-free manner.
- Manali Delhi tour packages (Covering Delhi, Chandigarh, and Manali)
- Golden triangle tour packages (Covering Agra, Delhi, Jaipur)
- Delhi, Agra, Ranthambore, and Jaipur tour package
- Delhi, Haridwar, and Rishikesh tour package
- Delhi Jaipur, Ajmer, and Pushkar tour package
- Delhi, Mathura, Vrindavan, Agra, and Fatehpur Sikri tour package
Delhi and some of its nearby areas (up to 500 km) are widely known as top weekend getaways from Delhi. Delhiites like to visit these places on a frequent basis to say no to the busy life of the city. These places are temporary stay options for all. Interestingly, all these destinations have their own USP for the tourism purpose and they can be your next and one of the topmost romantic places in India to visit and celebrate a honeymoon. Let’s check out the most popular tourist destinations around Delhi and the most unusual things all tourists can try in Delhi during their next visit to the vibrant city.
Manali is the queen of hills in Himachal and entices a large number of people from all walks of life. It is simply one of the most popular hill stations in India where millions of tourists from India as well as abroad come to spend some quality time in the lap of nature amid snow-clad hills. Come to this place to enjoy snow-covered mountians, skiing, rafting, and other adventures at the most famous Solan Valley. Come to this place and enjoy the most common water, air, and land adventures in Manali.
Along with Kerala and Goa, the Pink City Jaipur is a great place to visit and celebrate holidays in a royal manner. Jaipur is simply one of the most preferred locations for enjoying honeymoons in India. The historic city with a glorious past has been a central attraction for all Indians and foreigners for its past glory, renowned history, mighty forts, royal palaces, and beautiful havelis. Come to this great land of mighty Rajputs and take things to the next level by spending a night in the open desert.
One of the great Seven Wonders of the World, Taj Mahal has been a central attraction for all history buffs, shutterbugs, foreign travelers, and weekend seekers. That is why Agra plays a vital role in promoting the tourism of Uttar Pradesh. The UNESCO world heritage site is a symbol of love and hosts thousands of tourists every day. Known for its majestic architecture and marble work, this is simply one of the most famous places in India.
If you are visiting North India and are a big wildlife lover, you can’t miss Jim Corbett National Park at all. The homeland of the Royal Bengal tiger with special tiger reserve attract millions of travelers to spend some quality time and watch the big cat roaming freely in its natural habitats. With other endangered plant and animal species, Corbett National Park is an ideal destination for all shutterbugs who love to capture the image of wildlife gems in their cameras.
Popularly known as ‘the yoga capital of India’ and ‘the rafting capital of India’, Rishikesh is simply the best serene and beautiful place near Delhi where you can enjoy your holidays in a quiet and stress-free manner. It is the best place for trying adventure sessions of rafting, bungee jumping, outdoor camping, jungle camping, paragliding, and much more. Come to this holy destination for having a tele-a-tele with the holy and ever-flowing mighty river: Ganges.
Top things to do and must visit fun places in Delhi
All these mentioned-above places are the most offbeat weekend getaways from Delhi that you can visit for having an essential break from the daily and monotonous routine of life. When you land at ISBT bus station or New Delhi railway station or IGI airport, you start your journey to the Dilwalo ki Dilli. There are lots of hotels, lodges, restaurants, and inns for a comfortable and budget stay. You can dine out in restaurants and try some street foods in the busy streets of Delhi. If you are on a tour to Delhi from any state of India or abroad, you should visit the following destinations to feel the real colors and ambiance of Delhi.
You will find Delhi Haat at Janak Puri, INA, and Pitampura. The DILLI HAAT renders an ideal atmosphere of a traditional Rural Haat or village market. This place is quite suitable for fulfilling contemporary needs. All visitors to this place will find a perfect union of crafts, food and cultural activity. This Food and Craft Bazar is the USP of Dilli Haat as it clearly displays the richness of Indian culture, handicrafts, and ethnic cuisine on an eternal basis.
Garden of Five Senses
It is an initiative of the Delhi government. The Garden of Five Senses is not just a park but it is a grand destination where you will find plenty of space with a selection of activities. The 22-acre park invites public interaction and exploration. The idea behind this park is to respond to the city’s need for leisure space for the people so that they can socialize and unwind.
The 73 m-high giant tower built by Qutab-ud-din Aibak has five storeys. Out of which the first three are made of red sandstone. You will find the 4th and 5th one made of marble and sandstone respectively. There is also the Quwwat-ul-Islam Mosque, the first mosque to be built in India, built around the tower. In addition, there is also a 7 m-high iron pillar related to fulfilling of one’s wish if he or she encircles its hands while standing with its back.
The official home to the President of India designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens and Herbert Baker is a great concrete structure that lies on a 330-acre estate. With 340 rooms and the famous Mughal Gardens, the official building or complex consists of the Clock Tower, the Stables and the Garages. Now, this great place is open for all.
Don’t miss Akshardham Temple, Jama Masjid, Kalkaji Mandir, ISKCON temple, Lotus temple, Gurudwara Bangla Sahib (Sikh Temple), Hauz Khas Complex, India Gate, Jantar Mantar, Red Fort, Raj Ghat, and Connaught Place – Rajiv Chowk (& Palika Bazar) if you are visiting Delhi.
Most traditional and amazing things to do in Delhi
There is no dearth of adventurous things to do in Delhi for couples, youngsters, couples, and people of all ages. But the following amazing things are special that reflects the true culture and image of the metropolitan. These include:
- Raahgiri campaign (Apni Raahein, Apni Azaadi) conducted on every Sunday morning
- Ramlila shows during Navratra season
- Qwaali nights at Hazrat Nizamuddin Dargah
- The Changing of Guard ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhavan
- Light and sound show at Old Fort
- India Habitat Center for exploring galleries and theater
- Watch out stellar artistic performances at Akshara Theatre, Kamani Auditorium, and Shri Ram Center
Most unusual and new things to do in Delhi
Like most usual and popular things to do for all visitors to Delhi, there is also a long list of things that you can try to say no to the same and repetitive activities. Delhi is also one of the most stunning places where you can enhance your traveling experience in a big city. Also, try these activities to take things to the next and add more images in your camera:
- Walk around the old walled city of Delhi on a rickshaw ride
- Get an amazing view of Old Delhi from the top of the minaret at Jama Masjid
- Get the flavor of real India at Feroz Shah Kotla ground in Delhi
- Bollywood, Bhangra, belly dance and Garba with dance schools
- Visit Kingdom of Dreams to enjoy shows, exhibitions, and technical wizardry and celebrate Indian art and culture
- Try power and motorized paragliding in Sohna, Gurgaon
- Rock climbing and go-karting with ATV ride adventure
- Try a great Segway tour to explore and understand the rich heritage
There are lots of unusual things to do in the national capital of Delhi and you need a comfortable ride. So, when you are in Delhi, you can easily get the best transportation facility to explore the world around you. Thanks to HOHO Bus (Hop On Hop Off), State-run AC buses, Ola taxi, Uber taxi, metro train, and auto rickshaws.
Delhi welcomes all visitors and tourists with open arms and lets them enjoy their visit and enhance their traveling experience with special surprises that they will definitely miss with other metropolitan areas in an effective manner.